When: July 20th to July 24th
Who: Me, Nate, Griffin, and Dalton (other family members were in Cali but not at Comic-Con)
Why: Cause the nerd in me wanted to go
July 20th
I decided to fly to San Diego instead of drive down with Nate and Steph. It was nice because it only took an hour and a half instead of 9-10 hour drive. Once I arrived I took a shuttle over to Handlery Hotel to check in. It was fun cause everyone in my shuttle were all there for Comic-Con for the first time. We were all really excited.
I had the whole day to myself to do nothing and enjoy myself. So I took a nap. Woke up had lunch by the pool. Took another nap. Read a book. By then it was dinner time and so I walked to the local mall. As I was walking I passed off site registration for Comic-Con. It was CRAZY. The line was wound outside as well as through a whole ballroom. Glad I was waiting for tomorrow to register. So the mall was the best mall I have been in. It had everything. I just people watched and ate dinner. When I got back to the hotel I went to the pool had a strawberry daiquiri and enjoyed the live music. Very relaxing. I returned to my room to watched TV and go to bed so I could be ready for the next day.
July 21st
The FIRST day. I was so excited. Nate and I had our schedules all planned and Griff and Dalt were ready to go. We lucked out and off site registration no one was there. We quickly got our badges and the huge Comic-Con bags. Mine had Fringe on the bag. We headed over to the San Diego Conference Center and to see the mass of people just made me even more excited. As we walked in I loved seeing all the people, the costumes, and the excitement of all the people. It was so great.
My day was going to be spent in Ballroom 20. Nate and the boys went off to other areas so I was alone. It was so fun to talk to the people around me in line. One lady talked about all her different travels. Another was talking about pre-registration for the next year and how she ended up crying. Once I entered the room Burn Notice was in the middle of their panel. Bruce Campbell was there. He was really funny. I only saw about the last 10 minutes.
Next on the schedule was Covert Affairs. I was able to move up seats and ended up sitting in the front third of the huge ballroom. I do watch this show regularly. Mainly it is the hope of seeing Christopher Gorham's abs. If you have not seen them it is worth a look. This was my very first panel and it just made me even more excited to be there. Some things I learned were they tease Christopher Gorham about his character Auggie's abs. Also, I enjoyed him talking about playing a blind character. It was very interesting. I also enjoyed them talking about the different locations in which they traveled. It wasn't just sets.
Psych was up next. This is one of my favorite shows. A show about a fake psychic detective what more could you ask for. The panel was so funny. It started out with the Friendly Indians preforming the theme song "I Know, You Know." Then the cast came out and sang with them. One of the things I enjoyed was seeing the people behind the characters. These people were funny. Dule Hill and James Roday are one of a kind. Some of the things they talked about were how the pineapple became a part of every episode, Juliet's belief in Shawn, the relationship between Shawn and his dad, and how Gus and Shawn really do need each other. One thing the producer brought up is how the show is a comedy but it deals with crime and murder every week. He talked about how this show is successful because they were able to combine humor and crime in a perfect balance of comedy. This panel had me laughing non stop.
Sarah Michelle Gellar is back on TV in Ringer. This show is kind of a mystery. There are twins, a husband, a lover, and a detective. All nice looking males played by Ioan Gruffudd, Kristoffer Polaha, and Nestor Carbonell. All nice to look at. The could not give much away about the show but there are a few things I realized. Ioan's accent is attractive and he decided to do the show because he could were contemporary clothes instead of superhero spandex and period clothes. Sarah Michelle Gellar is awesome. During the audience question she misunderstood a question and the rest of the panel she made fun of herself. She seemed so real, like someone you would want to hang out with. It was nice to see someone who is famous not take themselves seriously.
The final panel I went to was for Games of Thrones. I have no idea what the show is or what it was about. The only thing I came out with is that Jason Mamoa is scary. I would not want to run into him on the street. His eyes have the look of I want to kill.
Nate and the boys were ready to leave so I met them outside. We then went to the redemption room to cash in my swag tickets. I received the following:
Covert Affairs: T-shirt
Psych: T-shirt
Ringer: Camping stool
Games of Thrones: Bag, t-shirt and first book the show is based on.
(I gave these to Nate since he had watched the show)
(I gave these to Nate since he had watched the show)
The other things I learned on my first day were one security guard directs people to unknown places if they annoyed him, there were 7,000 people waiting to get into Ballroom 20, and I love free stuff. The other thing I learned is the people at Comic-Con are so nice. I got to know the people I was sitting with. We were all alone so it was nice to talk to others. I shared my candy and pears.
So it takes a long time to write about each day so I will add the next 3 days and pictures soon.
We need to come with you next year! Had so much fun hearing about it all last night.
ReplyDelete